11th December 2019
Espresso machine maintenance and keeping your machine running perfectly is a top priority when running a café or coffee shop, and keeping it running smoothly requires more than just a wipe down at the end of the day. Daily care and regular services are required to keep things in tip top condition, but we’ve got you covered! Keep reading to find out how to properly take care of your machine between services.
Note: Parts and service requirements vary for different machines and different brands. This guide will cover 99% of machines, but always check the manual to see if additional maintenance is required.
At the end of every day, you should be backflushing your machine. But what does backflushing even mean? Let me break it down for you (pun intended).
1. Run hot water through the group heads. Clean the group head seals with the group head cleaning brush while water is running.
2. Remove the filter basket from the group handle and replace with the blank filter basket.
3. Fill with a pea size amount of Puly Caff cleaner or 5ml Break Cleaner.
4. Press the free flow button and stop after 10 seconds, repeat this process four times. Alternatively, press the “rinse cycle” keys on your machine. Once complete, empty the contents of the blank filter basket, and rinse clean.
5. Repeat the above process, this time without Puly Caff or Break Cleaner (Brush seals again to ensure there is no residue left on them.
If you have a busy shop, you may want to think about backflushing your machine after every rush, minus the Puly Caff cleaner or Break Cleaner. This doesn’t need to be limited to an end-of-the-day ritual.
1. Remove steam nozzle by hand, use a paper clip and push through each hole to remove any blocked milk.
2. Point the steam arm towards the drip tray and turn the steamer on for 3 seconds to purge the inside.
3. Replace nozzle back on the steam arm.
1. Fill a container with hot water
2. Remove the filter baskets from each group hand and place each handle & basket directly into the warm water.
3. Place a tablespoon of Puly Caff powder into the water and stir until dissolved
4. Leave the group handles in the solution for 15 minutes to soak.
5. Remove the equipment and thoroughly rinse with warm water, use a sponge to scrub the inside of the handle only,.
6. Dry and wipe with blue roll or a soft clean cloth
7. Put the filter baskets back into the group handles and re-season by making one espresso into a cup and then throw away. It’s best to do this first thing in the morning the next day.
If you have any queries or just need a hand with how to clean your machine, please don’t hesitate to contact us on 01322 381 380.